Thursday, August 10, 2006

Before the Throne

This song is one that we've recently been singing at church. It brings tears to my eyes everytime! It talks about the work Christ has done and continues to do for those who trust Him as Savior. I believe it's an old hymn. I know the words were written in the 1800's. I find it very eloquent and moving, so I thought I'd share it.


Before the Throne


Before the throne of righteousness
I have a strong and perfect plea:
a great High Priest whose name is Love,
who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands.
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in heaven He stands,
no tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair,
and tells me of the guilt within,
upward I look and see Him there,
who made an end to all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died,
my sinful soul is counted free,
For God, the Just, is satisfied,
to look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there, the Risen Lamb!
My perfect, spotless Righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of Glory and of Grace.
One with Himself, I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood.
My life is hid with Christ on high,
with Christ my Savior and my God.



Ephesians 2:12-13 tells us that when we are joined to Christ we receive all the benefits of God's chosen people. The only way a holy God can do this is because we are IN Christ; HE is the righteousness we need. This is just an awesome thought to me!

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Awesome words, I would like to hear it sometime.

Bob said...

It's on a CD called "Songs for the Christ Centered Life" that's available at http://SovereignGraceMinistries.org . Lots of good songs on the CD!