Saturday, August 12, 2006

Cicadas


Joe wanted me to take this photo for Aunt Martha in response to her blog post about the huge grasshopper. Joe and Ellie have made a hobby of collecting these hollow cicada shells. They think it's great fun to stick them on things like their clothing...or my hair. I think they're pretty gross. My kids must think I'm joking when I say that because it only makes them try harder to stick them on me. Matt's going to have to be the one to teach them to appreciate that kind of nature.
Here they are up close...enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Joe know that the crackly brown exoskeleton (ie shells)is the outer layer of the juvenile cicada underground? They come to the surface and then spend about an hour wriggling free of the exoskeleton to emerge as adults, the ones that sing to attract mates.

In all critters life is marked with changes. So, instead of shedding a layer, he'll get to don a backpack to move into his next stage, kindergarten. Hope he enjoys it as much as the cicadas, and sings enthusiastically when he emerges.
Love, AB

Bob said...

Yes, we knew what the exoskeleton was but hadn't made the connection between Joe and the cicadas. That will make a fun little object lesson for him. He needs all the help he can get with this transition! Thanks for the insight.

Team Smith said...

Joe,

I love the picture of you with the cicada exoskeletons. Keep looking for fun things to show me.

I love you,
Aunt Martha

Jewels said...

Sounds like he'll be ready for school bug collections - 4th & 8th grades in our school!

Anonymous said...

Joe,
It's the look on your face that I love. I'm not sure if it is uncertainty or disgust or . . .???

Isn't it amazing that God thought of all these crazy ways to make the world go round in perfect harmony. Sing it!!

Love
Baboo

Bob said...

I think the look on the face is, "Hurry and take the picture. It's killing me to stand still for so long!"