Thursday, November 16, 2006

One Decade Ago, in the State of Virginia

Today is the tenth anniversary of the first day of the rest of my life...my first date with Matt. It's also the birthday of two of my previous roommates (and they weren't twins). My college roommate, Polly, and I have this cool connection in that I had the first date with Matt on her birthday, and she had the first date with her future husband on my birthday. Pretty fun. Happy Birthday to Polly and Cheryl, by the way!

Our first date came after we'd been carpooling for more than a year, so we already knew each other very well, but it was still exciting. I actually earned the date as a prize for completing a photo scavenger hunt that Matt sent me on when I was making a road trip back to Taylor. (He had a plan.) What a prize! The date was pretty normal, dinner and a movie, but like I said, exciting!

We celebrated tonight by babysitting for some friends of ours whose two girls were born within days of each of our two girls. It's like having two sets of twins when they come over, and they're very dear to us. Joe's outnumbered but doesn't seem to mind being the only boy, since he's still the oldest and gets to be in charge. These girls just got a new baby brother last month, so Joe will soon have some more masculine company.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I mising a photo reference? something about frogs and princes? Definitely the latter.
AB

Jewels said...

Cute picture!! I'm thinking you taught in a school in Virginia. It's kind of funny that after college, I first looked for teaching jobs in Virginia a little b/c it sounded like a fun place to live but never very seriously. I ended up staying in GR...

Bob said...

I wasn't seriously looking for a teaching job in VA either, Julia. It just sort of happened. We both lived in Fredericksburg and taught near there. We loved it, but both wanted to raise our kids closer to family. It's fun to have a cool town to visit where you already have friends and know your way around.

AB - Definitely the latter, especially when surrounded by so many princesses!

Team Smith said...

Yay, I am so glad that you had that first date as it ultimately doubled our family. And they are pretty fun additions too, your Majesty :)

Love,
Mart