Friday, October 05, 2007

Mind Over Matter

Erin loves her weekly tumbling class(!), but has yet to grasp some of the most basic stunts. Don't try to tell her that, though, because in her mind, she's giving Mary Lou a run for her money. Last week, she asked me to take a picture of her doing her "cawtwheels" in the living room. I have to say, looking at this picture, she doesn't look that far off, but in real life, she was doing some strange contortion that no one could possibly recognize as a cartwheel (although it may pass as a "cawtwheel"). Anyway, the funny thing was that when she finished, she would look at the pictures I took, and then give me this confused look. "No," she'd say, "that's not what I did. Get a picture of me doing my cawtwheel!" This went on for some time until I was able to distract with a new game. The reality of the pictures didn't seem to squelch her enthusiasm at all, so maybe someday she will be able to do the stunt I was supposed to be taking a picture of!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that the important part of the cawtwheel is comfortably taking a risk. Important lesson, no matter what the adult external perception might be. And the internal image is definitely the most important one.
AB