Monday, January 19, 2009

Book Monday

A couple days ago I was reading this book to Erin and having such a fun time with her! The thought passed through my mind, "I wish everyone I knew could read this book!" Thus, the idea for "Book Monday's" was born. On Mondays I will share my collection of books I wish everyone could read. I hope someone out there enjoys it!

The debut book, Big Chickens, is written by Leslie Helakoski and illustrated by Henry Cole, two people who have definitely spent some time around chickens! The storyline is fairly simple...four chickens get stuck outside of their coop and, by panicking their way through many sticky situations, defeat the wolf. The hilarious illustrations only add to the already funny text. I enjoyed the book on more than one level, having spent my growing-up years with a coop-ful of chickens in the backyard. These chickens act just like the ones I knew, only these wear funny clothes, and they can talk. Very important - the chickens lend themselves to speaking in a wobbly voice with a Southern accent (like all chickens do, of course). This is a big part of what makes the book so funny to us! The first time I read this book aloud to my kids (who were then 7, 5, and 3) we had to read it at least five times...big fun! If you like it, there's now a sequel called Big Chickens Fly the Coop, which, again, is big fun. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will love book mondays, as I live with a worm. :) BOOK WORM.
XOXO

Cheryl said...

What a great idea. You should write book reviews! You are so good at it ... and passionate about books! Remember the days when you worked at a bookstore in Fredericksburg? (What was the store's name?) Don't you love your life sooo much better now?! I will look forward to the next book. In the meantime, I will check that one out.

Anonymous said...

bobbi,
hey, i am pollys friend and just wanted to let you know i am really excited about book mondays. we are always looking for a good read! thanks for sharing. ;) (and i grew up with crazy chickens too so this will be a good one)