Monday, February 02, 2009

Book Monday

I'm going with a book written for grown-ups this week. The Attributes of God by Arthur W. Pink, is a collection of newspaper articles he wrote many years ago. (I used to have a page in my book that told about the original publication, but it's fallen out, ne'er to return.) From the language of the book I would guess that the articles were written sometime in the 1800's. So it's not an easy read, but well worth the effort! Each chapter deals with a different perfection of God, written by an author who can make complex things simple and cause me to look at truths with new eyes.

This book is a great encouragement to me in that it gets my focus above the grind of daily life and onto God Himself. I especially like to read it before going to church on Sunday because it prepares me to worship God for who He has told us He is, not just for what He does for me each day. As Pink says, "(t)he foundation of all true knowledge of God must be a clear mental apprehension of His perfections as revealed in Holy Scripture. An unknown God can neither be trusted, served, nor worshipped." I have quoted this book once on this blog and you can read that quote here.

1 comment:

Kristy G said...

Bobbie, I have read the beginning of this amazing book about our amazing God and it's on my to-do list of books to complete someday! It's so jam-packed full of scripture. It's so far is a great read!