Monday, February 09, 2009

Book Monday

Today's book, Goodnight Moon, is one of my absolute favorites to read aloud to my babies. I really think Margaret Wise Brown was something of a genius with words. She could take the most simple text and make it flow so perfectly! I have many a happy memory of rocking and reading this one at bedtime. As a game the kids would sometimes fill in the blanks with the next word, especially the "...quiet old lady who was whispering _______" (hush). That "hush" was always one of their first recognizable words. The pictures are also fun because they alternate from color to black and white. On each of the color pages we'd have to pause and look for the "young mouse". Just thinking of this book makes me feel content and drowsy. What am I going to do when I run out of babies to read it to?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love that book, too. Thanks for reminding me to get it out and read it more to Luke. We always find the mouse, too. I think you should write a book, Bobbie. I am always trying to figure out what I would write about. The thing that i have figured out after reading millions of kids books is that repetition and simplicity are key.

Amy said...

Emma LOVES that book! We used to read it a lot, but I haven't seen it in a while. I'll have to look for it again.

Jewels said...

Yes, I love that book, and when you don't have anyone to read it to, maybe you can read it to yourself.