Monday, March 16, 2009

Off to Africa

"Off to Africa" is code around our house for "going to the restroom". (Ellie made that one up.) We were off to Africa in a different way last week when we visited Kalahari Indoor Waterpark Resort in Sandusky, OH. I wish I had more pictures but water parks don't really lend themselves to getting snap happy, what with all the...water. So here's a picture of our arrival. Of course, the Africa theme was over the top with these life-size animals. Daniel was VERY impressed with this elephant (after he got over his initial fear of it). The other three were so excited at this point! We had been looking forward to this get-away for a long time, and we weren't disapointed. The water park was really huge. All the kids loved the wave pool and the Lazy River. The water slides were OK, but the girls weren't even tall enough to go on most of them. I made a mistake the first night we were there and took Joe and Ellie on one that I thought would be pretty tame. It was called the Rippling Rhino, and I figured anything with the word "rippling" in the title was going to be OK. I couldn't have been more wrong. We were hurtled at what felt like 60 mph through complete and total, pitch-black darkness. The kids are screaming and crying, and I'm just afraid that they're going to let go of our tube, so I'm trying to yell louder than them, "Hold on! Just don't let go!" Boy, were we a sight when we finally hit the splash pool! Ellie was shaking so badly she could barely walk out. And it's funny that I was afraid they wouldn't hold on because the whole time we were in the wave pool, they were clamped onto me and nearly dragging me under. There's nothing at all wrong with their grips! Anyway, after that water slide, Joe and Ellie were pretty skeptical of any others that I tried to talk them into. They each went down one more big slide, but after that we stuck to the lighter attractions. The important thing was that we all got to play together, and that was such a blessing!


5 comments:

Cheryl said...

We have been to the Kalahari in WI and the Ripplin Rhino is very tame there. No darkness. :) But I do know what you are talking about! John took Jake on a couple that were WAY too scary for him. He even took little Caroline on one. It is so hard to know what they are going to be like. Next time we will try them out ourselves first! I also know what you mean about the whole camera and water thing. Very tricky and the lighting is not good. Anyway. . . I am sooo glad that you got to go and that you are all safe and sound. :)

ali said...

Glad you guys had a great time! Sounds like a lot of fun! The blog that I got the bow tutorial from is on my blog - Darby - Fly Through My Window. Then, once you get to her blog, part way down on the right is a tutorial list. You will find the bow tutorial there - with pictures! Have fun!

Cheryl said...

I miss you Bobbie, but I understand how busy you must be!! I have so much respect for you with the whole homeschooling thing. Really, I do. I feel like I am so busy and two of my kids are in school! Take care and I will keep waiting for your next post. :)

Jewels said...

Hi Bob - This brought back some great memories :) I've been cathching up on your blog and looks like life is good for you all. Good to see that and nice to see your mom :)

Jewels said...

Cute kids Bob! You must be busy :)