Friday, August 25, 2006

Our First Little Launch

Well, we made it through what my aunt dubbed as our "first little launch". You'll have to excuse me for not blogging about each little event leading up to Joe's first day of school (believe me, I could have!). Matt has switched from fourth to third grade this year and has been on the computer a lot this week working through all his new plans.

On Wednesday, Joe and I met Matt at school for a meeting with his teacher, the loving and capable Ms. Crissinger. The purpose of this meeting was for students to get all their supplies in place and parents to get an idea of classroom routines and procedures. On the way to the school Joe, being Joe, was very nervous and even had a stomachache. Things went well, though, and as we left the room Joe said, "I'm so happy about how that went that my eyes are watering!" I looked down, and, sure enough, he was crying tears of relief! We thank the Lord for helping Joe to have this sense of peace. The verse he's been memorizing in conjunction with starting kindergarten is Psalm 56:3, "When I am afraid, I will trust in You." How awesome God is that He shows His faithfulness to those who trust in Him.

Earlier this week Joe also received a card from a very dear lady in our church. In it she wrote,
"...You'll learn how to read. Then you can read the Bible all by yourself! You will learn about animals and birds and insects. Then you can see how awesome God is in the creatures He made. You will learn how to make new friends. Then you can tell others about Jesus and how He made all the creatures and gave us His Word."

These words brought a smile to Joe's face and they spoke to my heart as a mother. I was reminded that Joe is not really my own. God has created him with a larger purpose in mind, and I'm just one tool He will use in shaping Joe into the man he's going to be. We are convicted that for right now the public school is another tool the Lord will use in Joe's life, so while it would seem comfortable to keep him always at my side, that's not what he was made for. He was made to glorify God! It is so good to be able to trust God's purposes for Joe. While the sentimental part of me shed a few tears watching him head off on Thursday for his first day on his own, deep down I am rejoicing at the privilege of knowing God and marveling at His good and wise plan.


As for how the rest of the day went...Ellie asked about every ten minutes if it was time to go pick Joe up yet (and I was thinking the same question in my mind!). When 3:00 finally rolled around, he gave a glowing report. He told Ellie, "Kindergarten is really fun! You should go there as soon as you can!" When we were each reporting our daily highs and lows at the supper table, Joe said, "My high was going to school, and my low was coming home,"...and so the next stage begins. We have lift-off!

6 comments:

Jewels said...

Wow Bobbie, what a great day & great memory! I love the part where he says, "I'm so happy with how that went..."

Anonymous said...

That first child on their first day of school is a traumatic experience for the whole family! It is the beginning of a new era which passes all too quickly. I know you are enjoying your children in all their phases.

Bob said...

Those lucky firstborns, huh?!

Anonymous said...

Pass along to Joe our excitement that he's now in school. He'll have so much more to share with the family. Hopefully his teacher will encourage his imagination and indeed teach him to read.
Love,
AB &UD

Team Smith said...

We are so glad that Joe's first day was a success. We were thinking about you and praying for you. It would have been great to talk to him after such a major event. I guess that there will be other major events that we get to enjoy. Thank you for keeping us posted through the blog. We love it!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bobbie,
I completely understand your feelings about this important day. Thanks for expressing them so well!