Sunday, September 03, 2006

A Farewell to Summer (Laundry)



My mom recorded in my baby book that when I was a child I measured time by how long it took to use up a roll of toilet paper. I now measure the passing of seasons by the amount of activity in my laundry room. Now, I know that three of the bodies in our home are fairly small and wear fairly small clothes, but still, I feel like laundry is the one constant chore around here. I've got a pretty good system going and can average about 1.5 loads a day without getting overwhelmed...except in the summertime. In the summer, I can go for days without setting foot in the laundry room! Instead of two loads a day, I can get by with just a couple loads a week! For one thing, Matt's on vacation, so I don't have any of his school clothes to wash, not to mention that there are some days when the kids wear their swimming suits all day long. It's just a grand thing! Please understand that I truly love looking after the ways of my household and am not complaining at all about doing the laundry. My home is full of precious ones who are well-clothed, and I wash their clothes with just the touch of the button. What's to complain about there? It's just that I discovered this new pattern in my life and am amused by it. The air around here feels cooler and all of nature is showing that the season is changing, but I could have told you this without even stepping out of my basement laundry room.

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Hey! I haven't yet met this great invention which does the laundry with just a touch of a button. I need one of those :)

Another factor: Fall & winter clothing is about a hundred times bigger than summer clothing, too.

Bob said...

OKay, okay, that "button" idea is more of a relative term, say compared to 100 years ago or doing laundry in Uganda. :)

You're right about the fall and winter clothing. Here it comes!