Thursday, September 07, 2006

Pink Eye


Joe woke up with a matted, red eye yesterday, so for the first time he had to miss school. He was none too happy about that, but I think the day shaped up alright for him. After a trip to the doctor and some antibiotic drops, he and Ellie had the day to play hard together. Pink eye is a pretty nice illness in that regard. He was too contagious to be at school, but he didn't feel bad. Ellie and Joe have really missed their playtime (weekends and evenings haven't been enough compared what they were used to), so they had a grand day. They made up a play about lizards and played one of their favorite games "Soldier Girl". This game just cracks them up, although most adults don't seem to get it. Joe and Ellie are 20 months apart in age, but they often talk about how they're like twins, and I see it in many ways. I hope they will always be this close.

I also want to share this story for those of you who enjoy this kind of thing...In a great moment of clutziness, I went "Bowling for Children" yesterday. I was coming down the steps behind Joe, while carrying Erin. I slipped on the third from the bottom step and sat down hard, catching myself on my left hip and elbow, then bounced the rest of the way down. Matt was downstairs, and to hear him tell it, he heard a big thud, then saw Joe and Erin come skidding across the wood floor. Neither of them were hurt enough to cry, but I'm sitting pretty gingerly today. This is the third time I've pulled this little stunt and it is always when I'm carrying a kid. I think it's time to move to a single-story house!

4 comments:

Jewels said...

Your bowling story made me laugh. You sound as graceful as Marti!

Our kids still make up games, so in my "expert opinion",yours will probably continue :)

Anonymous said...

UD recently took advantage of our banister as he stumbled on the stairs. In one forceful grab, the banister got the worst of it -- the metal bracket broke in two; and as the banister ripped out of the wall, it left an 8" hole. But, it did the job. He avoided a crash landing. And it's much easier to repair a wall than a bone. Perhaps you and Mart are both now old enough to recognize that not only geezers use railings going downstairs.
Take care. Love, AB

Bob said...

Glad that UD is OK, but I don't know about using the handrail...The last thing we need around here is something else that needs to be fixed!

Bob said...

Julia - You are the pro!