Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Where I Was Coming From

"It is impossible to overestimate the great things which become possible when a young life is surrendered to the Almighty God."
(Powell, David: His Life and Times - A Biographical Commentary)

After my previous two posts, I feel like I need to clarify a few things, lest anyone think that I dislike my work as a mother or not appreciate it for the high calling that it is. I don't regret spending my time doing things to give my kids happy childhood memories, it was just that my heart wasn't right as I was doing it. My main goal with my kids is not to give them memories of fun times as a family but an understanding of and passion for God and His glory. In order to do this, I must use every opportunity to impart God's truth to them, then pray that God will write that truth on the tablet of their hearts (Prov. 3:3). Deuteronomy 6:7, says to teach the commands of God diligently to your children, but the verse before that (Here's the catch!) says that these commands must first be written on my heart. When I have a week where I've not made time to open my heart to God's Word so that it can dwell richly in me, I'm not walking in the Spirit, but relying on my own flesh to accomplish what only God can. When I'm walking in the Spirit, I will be doing the things that show my love for my kids, but not just for the sake of loving them...for the sake of God and His kingdom. What gets me really excited about this is that if God would so bless our family, not only would our kids have God, but God would have them. Like Hannah with Samuel, what a wonderful offering this would be to present to God! One of my new favorite John Piper quotes sums it all up (and really challenges me): "I plead with you to dream a dream that is bigger than you and your families and your churches. Un-deify the American family, and say boldly that our children are not our cause, they are given to us to train for a cause. They are given to us for a short season so that we can train them for the great causes of truth and mercy and justice in a prejudiced, pain-filled, and perishing world."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bobbie,

You are so correct with this post. I can tell that God is blessing you and your family because of your diligence in studying and following his word. It is evident because you can write what you have written. You are continuing to be filled to all fullness.

Much love
Mom

Jewels said...

Hi Bobbie,

That John Piper quote at the end is really great, I couldn't agree more. Sorry you were having a bad week, but it sounds like you know how to make it better!

Bob said...

Thanks for the encouragement. My whole family can attest to the fact that this week has been better!

Team Smith said...

Bobbie,

You will always be the big sister that I look up to. I pray that God's word would dwell in me as much as it does in you. Thanks for being such a great example!

Love,
Mart