Saturday, October 28, 2006

Kitchen Window


Living in town, we don't have any particularly stunning views out of our windows, but I do really like this view out my kitchen window. The branches of this Japanese Maple and cedar tree interweave and are a wonderful complement to each other at all seasons, but especially in the fall. The evening sun shines through these at about the time I'm preparing supper and gives me some natural beauty to enjoy. I'm sure this picture doesn't do justice.

I'm preparing tonight for church in the morning. Our sermon last week was on being filled with the Spirit. Justin talked about the idea of what fills you, controls you. Eph. 5:18 contrasts being filled with the Spirit to being drunk with wine. The Spirit should control us just as wine controls a drunk person. Col. 3:16 is a good parallel to the Ephesians passage and it says that we are to "Let the Word of Christ richly dwell in (us)"...The Word of God dwelling in us is the same as being Spirit-filled. The memorable quote for me was, "It's not how much of the Spirit I have, it's how much the Spirit has of me." This week, I'm afraid it hasn't been much (see below), but I know where to go to get turned around. Let's hope and pray that I have more of the right stuff dwelling richly in me this week.

5 comments:

Jewels said...

Bobbie,
You wrote (see below) and I expected to read some terrifying nasty story of some reversion to sinful nature and all I could see were stories of a caring wife and mother! I would think that counts as being spirit-filled! Or did I miss something?
The kids look darling in their costumes!

Anonymous said...

Discovered that clicking on these photos enlarges them. Lovely view.
AB

Anonymous said...

This photo is a work of art. Frame it and enter it in the county fair. It's a sure blue ribbon. :)

Mom B

Bob said...

Only if my mom were the judge!

Bob said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Julia. I was just trying to say that I was doing all the "Mom things" with the wrong motives and in my own strength, rather than the Lord's. I think I'll do another post to clear things up, because I don't want anyone to think that I'm complaining about the work of this very high calling.