Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy Birthday, Martha!

Yesterday was the birthday of my beautiful sister, Martha, who celebrated in her home in Uganda with her husband, Eric. We would've loved to have her here to enjoy our spring-like day with us, but I guess she was OK with being near the equator. We did get to sing her to her over the phone, which I'm sure was SUCH a treat! She and Eric were out to dinner when we called. It's good to know she got a little of that on her day.

As my younger sister, Martha has contributed significantly to my development over the years. Just the other day, someone commented to me that I didn't seem like an oldest child. My response was that this is probably because my younger sister never let me boss her around. So, as traumatic as that is for an older sister, I guess I can thank her now. (I wish I could scan in a picture we have of her as a four-year-old, in total control of her Sunday School class.) She's definitely one who likes to think for herself.

It was sort of strange to pass all of Dec. 30th without doing any of the birthday stuff, as we have every other year. With Martha's birthday falling between Christmas and New Year's, we were always all home to celebrate it (something Mart has always relished!).

The internet connection hasn't been very reliable for Team Smith recently, but hopefully Mart will be able to read our birthday wishes soon and catch some of our love across the miles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope Mart noticed that eventually Happy Birthday resolved itself into one key. Should be a lesson about concensus building in there somewhere. Glad we could all celebrate in this very small world.
Love,
AB

Team Smith said...

I really appreciated the birthday call. There certainly should be a lesson on concensus for our family :)

Thanks for the blog, Bob, but I didn't notice that you didn't boss me around. So does this make you a middle child :)

Love you!
Mart