Saturday, December 09, 2006

My Favourite Christmas Music

I got cybertagged by my cousin, Julia, to write about my favourite Christmas music. It was a game of tag which came from her friend in Malaysia where they spell "favorite" with a "u" which makes it look so classy, don't ya think? Anyway, I've never been cybertagged before, and I've had a lot of fun thinking about the topic.

My first thought is to go with Drew Barrymore's line in Ever After, "I could no sooner choose a favorite star in the heavens." I love almost all Christmas music as long as they don't take a traditional carol and make it way too groovy. Amy Grant, Martina McBride, and Point of Grace are my main Christmas staples, but there are many others I enjoy. What makes a good song to me is the lyrics, so I love it when the words of a song are clever and make you think about truth in a new way, like Point of Grace's One King..."One king held the frankincense; one king held the myrrh; one king held the purest gold; and one King held the hope of the world." It seems like a lot of my Christmas favorites deal with the idea of Christ being our hope. Love Has Come by Amy Grant, and Let There be Light and Hope is Born Again by Point of Grace are good ones in this department. Our church choir is singing an old hymn as part of our Christmas worship service tomorrow night, and I think it fits all categories of a good song. The message is profound and stated in a poetic way, and the harmonies are gorgeous, so it's probably going down as my new favorite for this year.

Thou Who Wast Rich Beyond All Splendour

Thou who wast rich beyond all splendour,
all for love's sake becamest poor;
thrones for a manger didst surrender,
sapphire paved courts for stable floor.
Thou who wast rich beyond all splendour,
all for love's sake becamest poor.

Thou who art God beyond all praising,
all for love's sake becamest man;
stooping so low, but sinners raising,
heav'nward by thine eternal plan.
Thou who wast God beyond all praising,
all for love's sake becamest man.

Thou who art Love beyond all telling,
Savior and King, we worship Thee.
Emmanuel within us dwelling,
make us what Thou wouldst have us be.
Thou who art Love beyond all telling,
Savior and King, we worship Thee.

Now I tag Team Smith in Africa (hopefully, they'll be able to connect sometime soon) and Bridget, who seems sort of musical. Hope they have as much fun as I had thinking about this topic.

8 comments:

Jewels said...

Hi Bobbie,

I love the Drew Barrymore line... it's about the truth, too. It sounds like you have some great favourites!

Maybe this week, I'll get my Christmas cd's out. I don't know what my deal is this year.

Bridgie said...

Thanx alot now i actually have to update my blog!
-bridget

Anonymous said...

There's the class "u" again in splendour. This is just too high brow for me.

How about verse 3 of O Little Town of Bethlehem?

Baboo Bailey

Bob said...

Go for it, Bridgie! You can do it! I'll be checking...

Bob said...

Hey, Mom,

I can't think of that verse right off hand. Maybe if somebody started it...

Anonymous said...

How silently, how silently, The wondrous gift is given!
So God imparts to human hearts the blessings of His heaven.
No ear may hear His coming, But in this world of sin,
Where meek Souls will receive Him still, The dear Christ enters in.

Mom

pearlie said...

Hi Bobbie,
Julia's friend from Malaysia saying "Hi!" :)
Great list you have there - my favoUrite people too -- Drew Barrymore, Amy Grant, Point of Grace.

Bob said...

Thanks, Maeghan,

We also have similar tastes in food...loved the chicken with two lemons!