Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Getting Wired

Again, we are discovering all the charm of our old house. We had called
an electrician to install some ceiling fans for us, (They had been sitting in their boxes for six years, and we decided, hey, it's time.) but when they came they found old wire that they could not reinstall a fixture on. Now, we had put new fixtures on some of this wire, not realizing that WE WERE TAKING OUR LIFE IN OUR HANDS! Anyway, they rewired the ceiling fixtures for the fans, and, in the process, found places where live wires had been stuffed down inside our plaster walls, where they smoldered by the highly-flammable lath. Praise the Lord we had not burned down! Our electrician highly recommended a complete rewire, and now we're in the midst of it. It's been interesting having my new friends Ryan, Kevin, and Darrell home with me and the kids every day for the past week and a half. We've also had fun figuring out which outlets and appliances are going to work on a given evening. It's an exercise in flexibility, so I guess that's good for me. I guess it's probably a little bit like living in a place like Africa where power is optional at almost any time. Today Ryan assured me they would probably be done by Friday, so I'll be able to show you all my new outlets, not to mention some new lights in convenient places. Yea for Edison!

1 comment:

Jewels said...

I'm glad your house didn
t burn down Bob! Makes you glad for simple things.