Thursday, January 08, 2009

Thankful Thursday #3

Tonight I'm thankful for my weird kids. Actually, I should say, I'm thankful that kids are weird, and I get to live with four of them, whose unique brand of weird-ness I totally enjoy.

One aspect of their weird-ness (probably my favorite) is the way they play. We first started noticing this when Ellie got a little family of toy lions for her fourth birthday. Those lions were the only thing the kids played with for days after that! The lions were everywhere, having all kinds of adventures. Other animal families later joined them, but now all have been replaced by what the kids call "lizard'ns" and "frog'ns". They are these little rubber, stretchy lizards and frogs that we buy at Wal-Mart (88 cents for a pack of 15!). There are different colors and varieties in the packs, and the kids have names and character traits for each one. They even speak in different voices and accents! What's really funny is the kids think I know the names of each one. They'll come up to me and ask if I've seen "Susan Lizard'n"...as if I could tell Susan from any of the other 50 lizards! Lizard'ns and frog'ns are sort of like action figures and Barbie dolls rolled into one cheap, little, gender-neutral package, and they've provided hours of fun in this house. For more than a year now, they're about the only toys we've needed.

See? You just don't get that kind of weird with grown-ups.
I got this picture of what appears to be a lizard'n and frog'n pow-wow. Mode of transportation at the bottom right corner.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love it! What about the ones on the outside of the circle? I would love to meet your kids. I think they would get along great with ours!

Bob said...

Hmmm...I hadn't even noticed those outside the circle. You think like they do, Cheryl! I'm sure our kids would have some great, weird times.

Bob said...

On second thought, the ones outside the circle may just be some that I kicked out of formation as I walked through the room. This pow-wow was in a high traffic area (of course!).

Jewels said...

This reminds me of when my kids were little. They still enjoy being together :)