Saturday, February 21, 2009

Five Year Old Girl!

As I continue to replay our week, I am now to last Saturday afternoon when we had Erin's fifth birthday party. We had grandparents and one aunt come as special guests and did all our usual birthday things. Erin got to wear the birthday hat (and her sparkly dress!) as she blew out her five candles on her pink kitty cake. (We called it "Sweetheart Kitty" since the party was on Valentine's Day.) Some of Erin's special gifts were "Coconut" (the American Girl dog), some clothes for her Build-a-Bear, a new Easter dress, and a pinafore (just like Laura Ingalls'!). She had a great day and loved being the guest of honor!

I used to make 10-12 scrapbook pages of the year and present them to each child on his/her birthday. It was always nice to pass around at the party (and it was easier for me to let them turn the next age, knowing I had a lot of the previous age recorded). Then last year, I went to digital scrapbooking and each kid got a hardbound book with their pictures and stories for the year. I still haven't gotten Erin's done yet, so during her party I had a slide show playing on the computer with her special pictures from the year. What is it about looking at pictures while listening to music?? I could hardly watch it without getting all teary-eyed! I've never been so far behind on having the scrapbook done, so I really need to get going on that, but the slide show was a nice alternative.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow. . . I love the passing around the scrapbook pages idea!! I am sooo far behind. I am trying to keep my pages more simple so I can get more caught up. The task seems very daunting right now. So I will try to work backwards. (like your blogs this week!) :) The kitty cake was adorable. Caroline would love that. She had "pup" cakes last year. She also has Coconut. Not interested in the American Girl dolls, but loves Coconut.

Jewels said...

What a great idea to make those picture books for b-days. I wish they had it when my kids were younger!

Bob said...

It's never too late to start, Jewels!