Monday, February 23, 2009

Book Monday

I really hadn't decided what book I was going to do today until about ten minutes ago, when I picked this one up...and remembered, again, why I love it so much. Lies Women Believe, by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, is set up so that all you have to do is look through the list of lies women believe in the table of contents, find your lie, then turn to the page to read about the truth. Awesome. I was looking under the lie of "I don't have time to do everything I'm supposed to do." (Who out there hasn't thought that??) She points to Jesus' words at the end of His life, "I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do." (John 17:4, italics added). Later, she follows up with this quote:

Frustration is the by product of attempting to fulfill responsibilities God does not intend for us to carry. Freedom, joy, and fruitfulness come from seeking to determine God's priorities for each season of life, and then setting out to fulfill those priorities, in the power of His Spirit, realizing that He has provided the necessary time and ability to do everything that He has called us to do.

When your head is speaking lies to you, there's nothing like a good shot of the truth to get you back on solid ground, and this book is a great tool for that. Nancy Leigh DeMoss has recently become a favorite of mine. She really loves the Lord and has such fresh insights from the Bible.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I have that book. . . I should pick it up and read it. :)

Anonymous said...

I have that book too, I should pick it up and read it too. XOXO