Friday, February 20, 2009

What Bob Can't Do

It's funny looking back on this week in rewind...I must have been getting sick for a few days before I actually knew it. I look at these pictures and my primary memories are of being tired...
Continuing with the week in rewind...Our family celebrated Valentine's Day on Friday night because we were going to be having Erin's birthday party on Sat., the 14th. On this night, I learned what Bob can't do. I found that it is not possible for me, in three days, to have two birthday celebrations, a Valentine's party, and a "fancy" family Valentine's meal. Something had to give and this year it was the fancy meal. We had pizza - no, not homemade (unless Jon is really our Papa). When it came time to decorate the table, I gladly delegated that job to the kids who had been sent some inspiration from my aunt (in the form of fun napkins, placecards, etc.). They had way more fun setting a fancy table than I would have on that night. Aren't these places cute?? And they probably enjoyed the pizza just as much as they would have my fancy meal. So that was Valentine's Day, and even in our imperfection, we all loved each other very much that night.
Next year I'm going to try Cheryl's tradition of going around the table and sharing what we love about each person. And since Erin's birthday will probably be on the 12th next year, too, pizza may also become our new Valentine's tradition.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

OK. . . I think that your table was "perfect". What is more perfect than letting your children decorate it? I sometimes get too caught up in being perfect that I end up missing the whole point of a celebration. I love it because your kids could take ownership in it and they will remember it always. As for the pizza . . . we also had "take out" because I knew my kids would actually eat it. I made a big fancy dinner (cornish hens with all the trimmings) for Christmas and my kids hated it! Enough of that! Pizza is easy and everyone likes it!

Jewels said...

Pizza is always our Saturday dinner, well almost always.