Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Eating His Words


Yesterday at school Matt noticed that someone had drawn a long, squiggly line on the wall of his classroom. He asked his students who did it and got no response. His comment to them was that that was something his two-year-old would have done (and she has!). He said, "Even my six-year-old would know better than to do that!" (Yep, he shoulda' never said that!) To my recollection Joe has never written on places where he shouldn't (is that weird?), but after school when Matt asked him about the marks, he confessed. He said that he had just sharpened his pencil and he wanted to test it. I guess the wall seemed the logical place... Joe cleaned the wall today, and Matt came clean with his students. They got a kick out of it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me giggle. I assume you remember Luke's corner in the kitchen that had a whole journal written on it from his many hours of time out. It took me awhile to realize that he had a pencil with him when he hid himself with the drapes. And then there was AB who wrote her name on Grandpa Starbuck's closet wall (in crayon). So, of course I had to try too. Tell Joe it's just in the genes, and good ones too. There is so much to learn by writing on the wall. You may have the start of a great artist.

Love Mom

Team Smith said...

I also can recall a time when Luke had written something bad about me in the upstairs bathroom drawer. I wanted him to get in trouble for it so I made it more clear that he had written it. I wrote, "Martha is stupid." I wrote it in the messiest handwriting that I could muster so that mom would believe that it was Luke. Yikes, was I sneaky. I don't remember if he did get in trouble, but I still think that you can see it in the drawer. Serves me right :)

Bob said...

I love it, Mart! Confession is so good for the soul!

Anonymous said...

Mart-
I didn't know that. Hmmmm. . . I expect you to to sit in the time-out chair to make up for the moments you missed years before. I wonder if Luke is reading this. I can't imagine where it will lead. I'm so glad you all grew up without too many emotional scars. :)
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

My recollection of that closet wall's crayon marks were of a backwards B in one name and a "y" added to the wrong one because I wanted one of those neat letters, too. Suspect we were about the ages of JEE.

As adults, it's something we do before we repaint a room -- so it's still fun.

Isn't it nice to know that all these things become humor with time?
Love,
AB

Anonymous said...

I love this story!! The "wall writing" hasn't happened at our house yet, but I am SURE Andy will attempt that one of these days. Thanks for the story...it made me giggle :)