Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What Is It About Fish?


We awoke on Sunday morning to find that Joe's fish, Littlefin, had "passed on" sometime during the night. A very sad event for him, to be sure...although he's already counting down the days until he can go pick out a new one. As for me, I'm just left puzzling at the great mystery of fish mortality. We had this one for three months, which is considerably longer than our previous "five-day-fish", but we were hoping to get at least a year out of him. Joe's cousin had a Betta that he kept alive for at least a year while virtually neglecting it and even spilling his bowl once. I don't know...maybe we didn't neglect Littlefin enough and ended up worrying him to death. Then there's the teacher at Matt's school who has this huge fish that started out tiny, but, as she says, "He's been in the third grade for several years." Several years?! I can't even fathom it. I must have the non-green fish thumb...one minute swimming and doing all the fishy things, the next morning belly-up. Pastor Justin has said that we are all immortal until the Lord decides otherwise. I'm sure the Lord sees each fish, too. Maybe He just makes them that way to remind us that it can all be over "like that". Well, I'm sure we have another fish on the way, but the girls and I played stuffed animal pet store this morning...and we didn't even put any fish in it!

3 comments:

Team Smith said...

I am so sorry to hear about Littlefin. At least it will give Joe more to talk about (as if he needed that :)

Good luck with Littlefin III. Perhaps a new name would help?

Love,
Martha

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your fish. Megan has 2 Bettas also. She absolutley had to have 2 blue fish for her 5th birthday, so now we have Sally and Pretty.We have had them since March (6 months) which surprised me. I really thought they wouldn't make it one month! I have heard that Bettas can live up to 5 years!

Have fun fish shopping and enjoy your next pet :)

By the way, I really have enjoyed reading your blog. What a great way to document your family history!

Bob said...

Thanks, Jill! It's fun to have you commenting, too!