Thursday, September 21, 2006

Happy Birthday, Mom!


Today is the BIG 6-0 for M-O-M! Happy Birthday to one of the most generous people I know! My mom is the type that when I ask her for help or a favor, her usual response is, "You should've asked sooner!", so glad is she to give of herself. This generosity extends to her whole life, especially in her job as a middle school guidance counselor. At an age when most are just putting in the time until they get out, Mom is always thinking of new ways to pour herself into the lives of her students. I know that when she retires they're going to have to get about five people to replace her!

Of course, to three of the people in our house, Mom is known as Baboo (a name Joe gave her when he was one year old). To these three, time with Baboo is a precious and wonderful thing. One of the highlights of Joe's week is when he gets to sit next to Baboo during church. Our kids also find her VERY silly (even when she's trying not to be). Their new name for her is "Silly Old Don't-Step-On-The-Box". She once had to tell Ellie not to step on a puzzle box and something about the way Mom told Ellie, "Don't step on the box," was hillarious to them. So they get a lot of laughs from her.

Actually, though, we all do. For some reason she's always saying things that people end up turning into the latest family joke. One example is her recent comment on my sister's blog where she mistook an elephant for a hyena. Our family can have years of fun with that one! My favorite, though, is the time when she was helping me get back home after having my wisdom teeth removed. On the way up some steps, I started to faint but, fortunately, Mom was there. On my way down she spoke her famous words of encouragement, "Don't you dare faint!" Where would I be today without that?!

What a blessing and a joy it is to have a Mom like her! May her next decade be glorious in His grace!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true! And she once wrote on walls, climbed every neighborhood tree, and sneaked off for baton lessons. That was before leading the parade. So, take heart parents -- you can always hope to create the next Baboo.
AB

Jewels said...

Happy Birthday Aunt Becky! I would have e-mailed you but I lost your address last time my computer crashed and I asked Marti but she never gave it to me. I can't believe you're 60. That went fast. I can hear you saying, "Don't you dare faint." We had some great times at your house all those years ago!
Julia

Team Smith said...

Another great story about the woman of the day... when we were coming to Uganda for some reason mom asked us if there were mosquitoes in Uganda. Now this was after years of my visits to Africa in which I always took anti-malarial medicines that mom usually helped me pick out. I am still not quite sure what she was thinking about the mosquitoes. I think that she might have meant ones like they have in Ohio or something. Eric and I just laughed and laughed at her. I am sure that we will be using this one in the family for years to come.

I love you, Mom! You are one of the most fun people that I know. It would be great to have a kid like you.

Martha (for team smith)

Anonymous said...

Thanks to all of you for your kind birthday greetings! I'm glad I can supply so much amusement for our family. Where would we be if we couldn't laugh at ourselves?

Love
Mom