Friday, September 29, 2006

The Official Birthday Photo


Just had to post this picture of our birthday celebration. The hat is a tradition we started a couple years ago. My kids love it and won't let any birthday person get cheated out of his or her chance to wear it. They were completely puzzled as to why Baboo wouldn't wear the hat out to the restaurant.

You may also notice that the candles are stuck in a pie. Much to my kids' dismay, Baboo doesn't like cake, so for her birthday we always have apple pie. This year I made the pie, which is a story in and of itself. I'm just not a person who's ever been into eating pie, and, therefore, have never been into making pies. (Fortunately for him, Matt isn't really into pies either. We're more the Break'n Bake cookie type.) Well, I recently had this Betty-Crockerish inspiration and decided that it was time to learn to make pies. I've now made four, and they've tasted fine, but I really struggle with the aesthetics. I am in awe of people who make pies that look like the pictures in the cookbook with the perfectly crimped edges. My crusts compared to those are like comparing Monet's Waterlilies to Erin's most recent Crayola creation. But just as I love Erin's art, my mom didn't seem to mind her patched together pie. She actually went out of her way to say how great it was which, I know, was just her way of being nice because she knew I was sort of sensitive about it. So very Mom-ish.

1 comment:

Jewels said...

I can't believe your mom is old enough to be a grandma!