Sunday, December 17, 2006

Birthday Overload!

I've been away from the blog on the worst of all weekends, for I've missed wishing happy birthdays to two very special ladies!
On Friday, my Grandma Starbuck, also known as "The Great Baboo", reached the illustrious age of 87. (She's related to the whaling Starbucks, not the coffee Starbucks, which makes a world of difference.) During my growing up years, Gram lived a couple hours' drive away, which, I remember as a kid, thinking was way too far! Five years ago she moved to a retirement community close by, so we now get to see her once or twice most weeks. She has a true appeal to children. I remember it from when I was a kid, and I see the same chemistry between her and my kids. They just adore their Great Baboo! At the age of 87, she still is active in a couple clubs, a Bible study, and goes to water fitness classes. That is inspirational!

Saturday was the birthday of my brother's wife, Niki, who turned 32. Just being my brother's wife earns her a badge of honor, to begin with, but she also adds a fun and unique flair to our family. For example, on her birthday, Niki was going with a friend to an old-fashioned ball at an old, mansion-ish house, where people were going to dress in period costumes. Doesn't that just sound totally cool? And Niki knew about it, and Niki went. I haven't heard yet, but I'm hoping she had a wonderful time.

We went to another birthday party on Saturday, which I'll blog about on Wednesday.

Oh - and today was my birthday, but I'll cover that one tomorrow.

6 comments:

Jewels said...

Happy Birthday, Bobbi!!! I vaguely remember that date now - were you born after Paula or before?
I never associated your grandma with the coffee - duh! Glad to hear she's doing so well. And that Nikki - she's darling.
Well, hope you had a happy birthday - I can't wait to read about it!

Anonymous said...

Strong women's birthdays seem to cluster in this family....if not December, September....and Ellie and Erin now add February. Hope you all have/had happy celebrations.
AB

Bob said...

Thanks, Julia,

I was born after Paula. You'll have to wait one more day to read about the big event. I'm still recuperating...:) Just kidding, but Christmas stuff is keeping me busy.

Thanks, AB! I had never noticed that the women in the family all have birthdays so close to one another.

pearlie said...

Happy Birthday Bobbie!

Polly said...

Hi Bob! I almost forgot about your wonderful Blog! Oh my...I have been sitting here enjoying all the recent blogs and read the one on my birthday! YOU are so sweet and I remember that first date scavenger hunt Matt sent you on!! Your kids ...can they GET any cuter? NO! I will do much better about keeping up on the blog and I so miss you and it just warms my heart that I can connect with you on a regular basis again. I still kinda want to do a blog too...just need Dan the man to help me get started. LOVE YOU! I am baking cookies and getting ready for Abbi's class party tomorrow...I am the "chair" lady...so I guess that means it's up to me to keep all these 10 year old happy!! yikes! :)
xoxo

Bob said...

Thanks, Maeghan!

Polly, I feel so loved! How I wish I could be in Abbi's class tomorrow...funnest party on the planet, I'm sure! I still say go for it on the blog. I'd love to have that connection with you!