Thursday, December 21, 2006

Thirty-Five

There's a whole lotta birthday blogging going on this week, but I have to squeeze one more in. Last Sunday I celebrated my thirty-fifth birthday, and it turned out to be the nicest one yet. (But then, I always think each year gets better.) I was serenaded by most of my family, as Matt was part of a small group singing in the morning church service and Joe and Ellie were in a kids' Christmas program that evening. In between those times, we ate at a pizza place I really like, and I got to open some gifts. Matt and the kids got me a couple movies, The Scarlet Pimpernel and Pirates of the Caribbean 2 (which I was probably a little too excited about...for someone who's 35). They also got me a new Elizabeth George book which I'd really wanted called A Woman's Walk With God. When the Christmas season is done and I'm walking again, instead of running, I'll enjoy that a lot. I think Matt did pretty great considering he has to buy me birthday and Christmas gifts all in the same week. The best thing he did for me was that on Saturday he made me my favorite dessert, which we call Lush. It's a chocolate pudding layer thing, and it's awesome for any meal of the day. Although, now that I think of it, I didn't have it for breakfast at all this week...I really must be getting older.

My favorite birthday moment came on Friday night when I was out to dinner with my extended family. As soon as our food came, Erin needed to go to the bathroom, so I took her. Then as soon as we got back to the table, Ellie needed to go. When we finally got back to the table after that one, everyone else was pretty much done eating, and I hadn't even taken my first bite. The great thing about it, though, was that I didn't feel frustrated or upset. God really gave me some grace to be able to do all things as unto Him, including taking my girls to the potty. Thinking about it, I don't think I could've done that with such a servant's heart even a year ago, so I just got overwhelmed at His faithfulness to teach us year by year and to give us what He commands us to have. With that in mind, I'm ready to move ahead to 36.

Something new I want to try this year is to look for one passage of Scripture to focus on throughout the year, then to be able to testify regarding that passage on my next birthday. I haven't chosen the passage yet, but I'll put it here when I do.

There! Now the normal people birthday blogs are done, and we can start to focus on the biggie coming up on Monday!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So.... did you get anything to eat? Your kids are very fortunate to have two such caring, skilled parents.

Glad that you had a good celebratory time -- and don't think that aging will diminish amusement with sexist swashbuckling (though, it's the new James Bond for your elders!)!

Hope your year is a joy.
AB

Jewels said...

Good story, Bobbie. Yay for grace and the gift of Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Happy 35 Bobbie! I hope you enjoyed your day (sounds like it was great) 35 maybe a milestone, but I have really enjoyed it. Good luck with your scripture verse experiment; that is a great idea!

Jill

pearlie said...

one passage of Scripture to focus on throughout the year

An excellent idea! Something we could all do this New Year as well :) The problem will be choosing THE passage!

Bob said...

Thanks, everybody!

Yes, AB, I did get something to eat. I just had to shovel it in...something I've gotten pretty good at.

Anonymous said...

Dear Bobbi,
Happy belated birthday! Sounds like it was a good one and we wish you many more! You share a birthday with our grandson Hunter (Paula's son) who was 12. All our daughters have a child born in December. What a wonderful month! Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Received your Christmas card today with much joy and a heart full of sweet memories. Of course I had to come see the blog spot and catch up on your family news.

What a beautiful and marvelous joy to see your family and hear of some of your wonderful adventures.

Somewhat wistfully, I remember when our Ben, Sarah, Jessica, and Joe were little. Joe is 19, Jessica 25, Sarah will be 27 next month and Ben will be 29 on the 30th of this month. (Sorry Matt, that probably aged you to hear that!) Continue to enjoy and cherish each moment, because it is gone in a flash, or so it seems.

It was neat to discover another "connection" with your first "date" happening on, November 16th, which is our anniversary. Just some trivia to keep you going.

Please know that you are remembered and thought of with sweet and warm memories.

We pray that God's richest blessings will always be yours. Best wishes for a blessed celebration of the birth of our Lord!!

With much love and prayers!!
Susan and family

Bob said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Aunt Bev. I didn't realize Hunter and I shared a birthday...so cool.

Wonderful to hear from you, Susan! Matt and I both feel aged to hear about your kids. I still can picture Joe perfectly as a third grader. I wonder if I'd even recognize him now? Happy Belated Anniversary! And have a blessed Christmas, too!